Re: FontMatrix revisited (CFF & T1)

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: Re: FontMatrix revisited (CFF & T1)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 05:44:35 -0400 (EDT)

>   (Maybe it's better to implement t1_tofixed() with atof()?
>   Floats aren't that frequent in T1, so the performance hit
>   should be minimal.)

Ever look at Fontographer generated fonts (of course, silly me, you
worked on RoboFog , right?)  There are spurious floats all over the
place in the output (usually in the global hint structures).

> - Currently, the CFF FontMatrix isn't scaled at all yet --
>   right now not a big deal, as it isn't used in the first
>   place. However, just like in the t1z driver, the scaling
>   should happen before or during conversion to a 16.16 fixed
>   point number. I guess t2_parse_fixed() should get a 'scale'
>   argument. (I would also suggest to use atof() here, instead
>   of parsing the entire float ourselves.)

Floats in CFF just aren't implemented as strings that we can pass to
atof().  The parsing routine (start with 30, end with a nibble set
to 0xF, etc...) is a necessary evil.  Or did you mean, construct a
string of the float using the parsing loop, and then pass this to
atof() ?

Tom