Re: [Devel] CFF Cleanup (was bug in BBox_Conic_Check?)

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] CFF Cleanup (was bug in BBox_Conic_Check?)
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 13:46:34 +0100

Hi Eric,

> Since you are soliciting input... I don't think the CFF Unicode charmap or
> Adobe specific FT_CharMaps will be of use to me in the immediate future, but
> I suspect it could become useful further down the road.

Good, I won't investigate further this field for now :-)

> As far as CFF goes, I'm currently most interested in the charset and
> encoding tables getting loaded by the driver. I'm using the patches Wes
> submitted, and Tom is continuing that work. It will be nice when it finds
> its way into CVS, as I'm currently maintaining it on the side and merging it
> in whenever I pick up a new library version.

I'm currently tagging the CVS tree to prepare the 2.0.1 release. It
only contains the latest fixes from Tom. I'll commit changes I've made
to the CFF driver yesterday a bit later.

Basically, it seems that reading the Charset table is important to
synthetize a Unicode charmap for a pure CFF font, as well as to be
able to support the "seac" trick that comes from Acrobat-produced
CFF fonts.

I have no idea wether the "Encoding" table is going to be really useful
if we don't intend to use it for Adobe-specific charmaps. Please let me
know if you're still interested in it, as I'll forget about it otherwise..

> The font transform support will also be helpful. You may have seen some of
> the list traffic about the glyphs being flipped in Distiller produced CFF
> fonts. I've been using a variation of the previously disabled call to
> FT_Outline_Transform() in T2_Load_Glyph() to "right" them. It seems to serve
> my purposes fine, but I don't know if it is really the best way to handle
> things.

The correct way is the one used in the T1 driver, and I've started modifying
the CFF driver to handle this. It will need some testing though :-)

Thanks a lot for your comments, they're really appreciated..

- David