[Devel] FreeType2 BDF driver

From: Francesco Zappa Nardelli
Subject: [Devel] FreeType2 BDF driver
Date: 04 Dec 2000 12:38:11 +0100

Hello,

I have completed a working version of the BDF driver for FreeType2.
Shortly, it is a wrapper around Mark Leisher's BDF library.

There still is some code cleanup to be done (next weekend).  Before
that, I can quite easily add drivers for the following bitmap font
formats:

- HBF fonts
- Sun VFONT fonts
- Linux PSF fonts
- DOS [EV]GA fonts      (loads all three sizes if they are present)
- Metafont PK/GF fonts
- Windows FON/FNT fonts (this was taken from Wine, the same as
                         Freetype and is probably not needed)

Do you think any of them is useful?

I also plan to introduce incremental glyph loading.  Some fonts in
XFree86 distribution include ~6000 glyphs, and I'd like to find an
acceptable compromise between fast rendering and low memory usage.

---Mark: I haven't looked deeply at it, but I suppose it is not too
difficult to adapt your parser in order to be able to parse the
bitmaps only on demand (this supposes separating the header and the
bitmap parsings).  Am I right?

Regards,
-francesco