Re: [Devel] Bug in FT New Memory Face?

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Bug in FT New Memory Face?
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 13:03:59 +0200

Hi Michael,

> I develop under BeOS and AFAIK it does not support memory-mapped I/O.

Ah ! So there is a difference..

> I think it was my fault to free the memory for the font file after
> the call of FT_New_Memory_Face(). I thought this was safe because
> the documentation for FreeType 2 does not mention that
> FT_New_Memory_Face possesses the memory for the font file.
> Please correct me if I am wrong.

Indeed, the font data that is fed to FT_New_Memory_Face can be located
in ROM, or coming from a memory-mapped file, so there is no way
to make FT2 "own" this piece of memory.

This means you need to make the memory block "live" until the
corresponding call to FT_Done_Face !

Regards,

- David