Re: [Devel] Re: [Cvs] [FreeType CVS] Commit Log

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: [Cvs] [FreeType CVS] Commit Log
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 12:18:10 +0200

Hello Werner,

> Any idea how to synchronize the 2.0.4 and 2.0.4.patch branches easily?
> I suggest that we do that immediately to avoid complicated merging
> operations later.

I think we should try to merge them only when the patches are
finished, and deal with the conflicts.

the 2.0.4.patch is about making important internal changes to the
library in order to support the new hinting sub-system. However,
it shouldn't add new API functions, or make too many changes.

the 2.0.4 (original) branch is about fixing minor bugs, updating
documentation, etc.. for an eventual 2.0.5 (or even 2.0.6) release

I believe that the elements that may conflict will be limited to
documentation and maybe internal header files (mainly the content
of <freetype/internal/interal.h>

> Is there a guide how to do that?  I think it is probably best to
> commit changes to both branches in case they don't conflict.

I think it's best to commit bug fixes and doc updates to the
HEAD branch. I'll try to keep everything working for the merge
(i.e. I'm taking full responsability for the conflicts and
 will resolve them if they appear. However, I'm pretty confident
 that this won't happen, since I have planned the updates to
 minimize this).

In case you're interested, the plan is the following:

 A - adding a "pshinter" module that contains a sort
     of "fake" T1 hinter (though with a valid interface)

 B - modifying the "type1", "cff" and "cid" drivers to
     use this new interface to record the character hints
     and tune the outline (the latter will not happen)

 C - adding the new automatic hinter and grid-fitter
     as new modules. modifying the "pshinter" in order
     to use them instead..

 D - changing the TrueType driver to use the new auto-hinter
     and grid-fitter (necessary to support composites and
     and embedded bitmaps correctly, unlike the current
     state of affairs).

Normally, once A and B are finished, they can be merged
back to the HEAD branch with minimal conflicts..

Regards,

- David