Re: debian subdir (Was: [Devel] 2.0.4 in preparation)

From: Pavel Kankovsky
Subject: Re: debian subdir (Was: [Devel] 2.0.4 in preparation)
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 00:57:58 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, David Turner wrote:

> It seems that the Debian package build system needs a "debian"
> directory at the top of the source tree. That's a shame, and I'd
> like to know if there's a solution to this..

I am not a real dpkg-stuff guru but I am afraid there is no acceptable
solution because many Debian build tools (from build to dpkg-gencontrol)
use hardcoded paths. One could probably fool them by providing a a symlink
pointing elsewhere (assuming a symlink "clutters" the top dir less than a
real whole subdir) but it would create other nasty problem (CVS, zipped
sources etc.).

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."