Re: [Devel] Postscript hinter module commited

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Postscript hinter module commited
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 09:03:17 +0200

Hi Vadim,

Vadim Plessky a écrit :

> Is snapshot available somewhere? (URL?)
> Sorry for question, but I got used to update from tar.gz/bz2, or SRPM.
> (current FT is installed from Mandrake's Cooker SRPM)

No, to get it, you'll need to checkout the "freetype2" module
from the CVS repository, using the "VER-2-0-4-PATCH" tag name.

you should then be able to compile the library as usual, (then
recompile the demo programs with it). This branch doesn't
contain many fixes that happened since the 2.0.4 release though..

> It depends what do you want to achieve with FT 2.0.5 release.
> For example, if you want to extend beta-users' base, it can be good idea to
> have latest snapshot in Mandrake Cooker and Redhat's RawHide (development
> version) .  So all people testing cooker/rawhide can (potentially) send bug
> reports.

The plan is the following:

 - make a 2.0.5 release quickly. This one should only contain
   bug fixes for 2.0.4 (actually, many of them :o)

 - merge the two branches, and solve any problems that might
   happen. I suspect many will, even with Emacs "help"

 - release 2.0.6 with the Postscript hinter, and probably a
   few improvements to the auto-hinter. Possibly some important
   bug fixes too.. in this version, the "type1", "cid" and "cff"
   font drivers will all use the Postscript hinter..

 - then, make a few internal changes (mostly changing the internal
   interface and structure of modules, in order to simplify a small
   number of important operations, as well as solve difficult bugs
   like "no embedded bitmap is loaded when the auto-hinter is used")

   I would also like to write a new monochrome rasterizer for
   Postscript formats, mainly because hinting diagonals correctly
   is simply too complex and costly to be done in real time..

 - make a 2.1 release..

Regards,

- David