Re: [Devel] CVS commit messages

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] CVS commit messages
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 19:39:26 +0200 (CEST)

> Hi all, in particular those who have CVS commit access:
>
> [...]
>
> I think that perhaps we ough to start setting up some kind of commit
> message guidelines. much like the AFPL Ghostscript folks have.  The
> reason why I am after this is that it becomes difficult to tell
> which files are actually modified with each commit, especially when
> the same commit message is used for many different files.

Tom,

I believe that maintaining one single log file is enough, namely
`ChangeLog'.  As you certainly have noticed, I always convert
non-conforming entries to the right form, making it easier to find the
exact spot where something has changed.  I don't care about the CVS
log entries at all.  The only thing important for committing is that
one commitment corresponds to one ChangeLog entry.