Re: [OT font resolution -- was Re: [Devel] TrueType font-scaling]

From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela
Subject: Re: [OT font resolution -- was Re: [Devel] TrueType font-scaling]
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 23:46:47 +0200

Keith wrote:

> Around 23 o'clock on Aug 5, "Joaquin Cuenca Abela" wrote:
>
> > Are we going to pick the right value if we just leave the dpi parameter
> > unspecified in the pattern that we pass to fontconfig?
>
> I'm actually quite tempted to fix the Xft resolution to 96dpi unless
> reconfigured by the user.  It's clear that using 96dpi is better than
> using the "actual" display DPI.
>
> I'm hoping to get a chance to do actual research into what this DPI value
> should be in a variety of environments so that we can use a better value
> than '96'.

IMO it pretty much depends only on the resolution of the screen, and it's
independend of the physical dpi.
Of course, there are limits.  If the user has a very low resolution and you
choose and equally low dpi, your fonts become unreadable, but as a rule of
dump I guess that you just choose a dpi in function of the current
resolution (96dpi for 1024x768, 120dpi for 1280x1024, ...)

But by all means, choose a different default than the current 75dpi :)

Cheers,