Re: [Devel] Half-width ASCII in monospace CJK fonts

From: ha shao
Subject: Re: [Devel] Half-width ASCII in monospace CJK fonts
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 09:32:57 +0800

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 11:15:23PM +0100, David Turner wrote:
> I will certainly not _reverse_ the behaviour. However, it may be
> possible to make FT2 a bit more
> intelligent about the way it computes glyph advance widths. Certainly,
> there must be a better way
> than simply forcing the global advance width when a single header bit
> flag is set.
>
> However, I have no idea for the moment of any "smarter" algorithm (maybe
> one that looks at
> other tables in the file, but which ones precisely). Keep in mind that
> any alternative solution should
> work on the *vast* majority of available fonts today.

How about based on the deviation of the character advance from
the global advance. A 50% deviation obviously says: I am not using the
global advance width. For a malformed fixedwidth font, Maybe 15% is enough
a barrier. Otherwise, the font should not be called a fixedwidth font.
Or better, a more appropriate  number can be figured out with the
tool you post.

Not all glyphs have standard charmap for them.

--
Best regard
hashao