[Devel] Using freetype "characters" for window decorations

From: Otto Wyss
Subject: [Devel] Using freetype "characters" for window decorations
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 21:05:17 +0100

I haven't found a better subject but I'll try to describe my idea and what I'd
like to know.

I've started participating in the wxWindows project (wxUniversal port) since I'm
looking for a true portable programming framework. Now for the window
decorations (like close box, scroll arrows, etc.) there are still bitmaps images
used which of course aren't portable (at least not for PC's and PDA's). So I
thought if the decorations are defined in an useable outline format this
limitation would vanish.

I've look a little into freetype and from what I know IMO it should be easy to
outline a close box or a scroll arrow as an ordinary freetype "character" and
use them in the window drawing. Unfortunately the window decoration don't stop
with this simple ones, they get rather complex (i.e. folder symbol, icons). The
main problem IMO is, freetypes always have an inside and outside with just one
foreground and background color, while the complex decorations have multiple
colors. Beside this I think it should be possible to design any decorations in
an outline format.

Now I'd like to know:

- Is it a good idea to use an outline format instead of bitmaps for window
decorations?

- Is there a better (free available) outline format (library) than freetype for
this idea?

- Freetype supports rather many different formats, which would be the best for
this idea?

- Is it possible to extend freetype for this kind of use (if necessary) or is it
better to build another library?

Please tell me what you think about and please CC me, I'm not subscribed.

O. Wyss