Re: [Devel] another face->postscript.isFixedPitch :-(

From: Anthony Fok
Subject: Re: [Devel] another face->postscript.isFixedPitch :-(
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 00:35:53 +0800

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 06:41:51PM +0100, Boris Letocha wrote:
> This thing makes problems also on many other fonts especially chinese -
> everything is full width.
> We have to find some solution to this problem. Atleast find out how Windows
> load them...

Hello David and Boris,

Please let me know what you think of the attached patch to deal with the
halfwidth CJK fixedPitch font issue.  I have sent a similar patch to this
list some weeks ago, and haven't received any replies yet.  :-)

Note that I have made some minor change to the patch, namely increasing the
threshold from 50% (">> 1") to 52% (* 0.52) because I encountered a
DynaComWare (DynaLab) Chinese font in which the global advance width is
1000, but the ASCII characters have widths of 512.  Probably these glyphs
were copied from another font with global advance width of 1024, but
DynaComWare forgot to change their widths to 500 to fit the new font?
Dunno.  :-)  But yes, this will solve the

        s p a c e d - o u t   c h a r a c t e r   p r o b l e m .   : - )

Please let me know whether this patch is good for going into CVS.  :-)

> In fonts "Lucida Sans Typewriter Regular" or "OCR-A BT" is this flag sets.
> These fonts are not chinese at all.
>
> 'head' Table - Font Header
> advanceWidthMax:      1536
> [....]
> and all next have same 1234 advWid.

This is obviously a buggy font, and my "halfwidth" patch won't work here.
What do you think?  Perhaps FreeType could optionally scan through the whole
font and determine the _real_ advanceWidthMax?

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling