Re: [ft-devel] Really serious FT bug (was: Kerning problem with capitals

From: Rogier van Dalen
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Really serious FT bug (was: Kerning problem with capitals)
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 09:17:44 +0200

On 6/24/05, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
> Uh, oh, there is a serious bug in FreeType's TT code which apparently
> has gone unnoticed *for years*!  In ttgload.c, function
> `compute_glyph_metrics', you can find this:
>
>   /* translate array so that (0,0) is the glyph's origin */
>   FT_Outline_Translate( &glyph->outline, -loader->pp1.x, 0 );
>
> I think this is wrong.

FWIW: someone reported a similar problem in my TrueType loading code,
for another font. I was not sure this was due to a bug in my code.
My guess was, though I have not yet had the time to check it, that the
font set bit 2 of "flags" in the "head" table, which according to
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/head.htm means "Left
sidebearing point at x=0". This might lead an unsuspecting operating
system to mask a bug in the font.
Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Rogier