Re: [ft-devel] ft-smooth for 2.1.10?

From: bulia byak
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ft-smooth for 2.1.10?
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 18:52:08 -0400

On 11/17/05, David Chester <address@hidden> wrote:
> One configuration option forces the autohinter to be used even if a different
> hinter would have been used otherwise.  The other configuration option forces
> this hinting behaviour for the autohinter:
>
>     hinter->do_horz_hints    = 0;
>     hinter->do_vert_hints    = 1;
>     hinter->do_horz_snapping = 0;
>     hinter->do_vert_snapping = 0;
>     hinter->do_stem_adjust   = 0;
>
> It would be my vote for an overall default setup in freetype, but everybody
> has their opinions.

ME TOO. David, I've been using your patch for a long time and I love
it. Personally I just cannot understand how someone can so badly break
the kerning and character shapes for some marginal gain in crispness.
But, EVEN if this is not made the default, I don't see why it's not
included even as an option!

In case the FT developers keep being unflexible on this issue, David,
can you please update your patch so it works with 2.1.10?

--
bulia byak
Inkscape. Draw Freely.