[ft-devel] No support for side-by-side installation of x86-64 and i386

From: Ilya Konstantinov
Subject: [ft-devel] No support for side-by-side installation of x86-64 and i386
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 19:02:52 +0200

Hi,

Currently, freetype i386 and x86-64 collide in the following files:
/usr/bin/freetype-config
/usr/include/freetype2/freetype/config/ftconfig.h

This makes installation of two freetype development kits impossible.
Installing two development kits is desirable when the developer does
plenty of cross-compiling to x86-64/i386, which is often the case on
x86-64 machines.

It would be very much desired that:
1. freetype-config would be recoded to detect its environment and return
the appropriate directories, thus creating a single copy of
freetype-config on equal-prefix builds *or* freetype moved to pkgconfig
(freetype-config may remain a frontend)
2. ftconfig.h would be moved to the lib(64)/config directory, just as it
is for glib2 etc.

How do you guys feel about it?
(Please CC me, as I'm not subscribed to the mailing list.)