Re: [ft-devel] Kerning support in freetype

From: Russell Shaw
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Kerning support in freetype
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 21:42:02 +1000

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
Hello all,

I've got a couple of qustions about kerning support in FreeType:

1) freetype docs claim that FT_Get_Kerning returns values in 26.6 format,
but it looks like they are not.

It is 26.6, because i've been using it.

2) is it possible to get a number of all available kerning pairs? looking
at the freetype sources it seems ft has all the info, just there is no way
to get it.

Probably no function to do that, because why would you need to?

3) returned kerning doesn't match Wndows one, probably due to 1).

Must be a bug.

I have a test program for win32 GetKerningPairs and FT_Get_Kerning.
It basically creates an Arial face with a fixed pixel size (1200) and
retrieves kerning information for some known pairs.

Since I'm a Wine developer I'm interested in a behaviour which would match
Windows' one, particularly match in returned values, and getting a number
of all available kerning pairs just like GetKerningPairs(hdc, 0, NULL) does.

Thanks in advance for any help.