Re: [ft-devel] What and where are the fonts that require the unpatented

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] What and where are the fonts that require the unpatented hinter ?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:34:34 +0200 (CEST)

> >As a solution, I suggest that we add a function to FreeType which
> >registers such font names.  David?
>
> A question from curious: blacklisting by font name is usable for
> embedded fonts in PDF?

No.  A PDF viewer probably should provide an option to switch
rendering of all TrueType fonts to the unpatented TT hinter in case
the user sees garbage on the screen.  I think there isn't a different
solution (except compiling with the full TT hinter).

My idea is mainly for GUIs which install various fonts.