Re: [ft-devel] Issue with migration from OSX to freetype based rendering

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Issue with migration from OSX to freetype based rendering...
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 11:34:03 +0900

Hi,

Sorry for your inconvenience. Due to the manpower squeeze
of MacOS experts in FreeType developer, I want to decompose
the issue into platform-dependent and -independent problems.
And I have to apologize for I don't know WebKit at all.

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 17:29:17 +0200
"Jean-Charles VERDIE" <address@hidden> wrote:
>Unsurprisingly, the FreeType render block is different from the Quartz one.
>For the same font, and the same text: the ft rendered block is generally
>larger than the mac one and sometimes higher too.

Excuse me, I'm confused a bit, please let me get myself together.
I understand as following:
* the reference implementation is WebKit on MacOS X Quartz (only).
* the tested implementation is WebKit on Linux X11.
* the rendering result onto screen by WebKit-on-Linux-X11 is bigger
  than that by WebKit-on-OSX-Quartz.

If the issue is more generic (e.g. how about on WebKit-on-Win32,
if there's such?), please let me know.

>We tried to hack FreeType to make the two rendering fit. We changed in
>ftobjs.c the values of 72 dpi and the 64 coefficient in

I have 2 questions:

* this is not WebKit specific? for example, comarison between
  "text shown by TextEdit.app at specified pointsize" and
  "text shown by FreeType2 application on X11/Quartz at same pointsize"
  is enough for testing?

* when the output device is not screen, e.g. printing,
  the scaling coefficient 64 is better than 72?

>Has anyone already tried to make such a port, or is there any
>planned effort on making such a compatibility possible ?

I suppose there's nobody working for, at present.

Regards,
mpsuzuki