Re: [ft-devel] Incomplete cmap table for platform 0 (Apple Unicode)

From: George Williams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Incomplete cmap table for platform 0 (Apple Unicode)
Date: 30 Sep 2007 21:03:26 -0700

On Sun, 2007-09-30 at 20:16, address@hidden wrote:
> As I've shown in previous post, Apple Unicode cmap in the
> sample font is NOT broken from the viewpoint of data
> structure, I think. To detect "broken" cmap as you say,
> it's required to investigate cmap, loca, glyf subtables
> content semantically. After checking the all cmap, loca,
> glyf subtables, the best cmap subtable would be chosen.
> I'm not against the fact that such feature is convenient,
> but I'm questionable if it should be built-in feature of
> FreeType and should be enabled by default.
I'm not sure how you could even do it. It is perfectly valid to have
unencoded glyphs, desirable even. How on earth could you determine that
one subtable was "better"?

In ttc files many glyphs won't be encoded for a given font, nor with
they be the result of GSUB transformations.

I can't think of an algorithm that could produce reasonable results.