[ft-devel] FreeType2 2.3.5 Visual Studio Solution Warnings

From: Sargrad, Dave
Subject: [ft-devel] FreeType2 2.3.5 Visual Studio Solution Warnings
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 12:50:04 -0500

I tried to compile the solution bundled with 2.3.5. The solution built without error, but with dozens of warnings such as the following:

1>c:\development\build\gnuwin32\src\freetype\2.3.5\freetype-2.3.5\src\truetype\ttinterp.c(772) : warning C4273: 'TT_New_Context' : inconsistent dll linkage

1> c:\development\build\gnuwin32\src\freetype\2.3.5\freetype-2.3.5\src\truetype\ttinterp.h(262) : see previous definition of 'TT_New_Context'

The resultant library would not subsequently link with other applications, also built with visual studio.

Having dug a bit through the freetype2 code I eventually decided to build as a static library. So I added the following directive to the preprocessor defintiions:

FREETYPE2_STATIC

I was then able to compile without warning and link the static library with applications that rely on freetype.

Why does the default solution not work with a dynamically linked freetype library? Is there something that I should be doing prior to building the solution that will allow for the dll version of freetype to be built correctly?

Thanks in advance.