Re: [ft-devel] What is FT_Library?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] What is FT_Library?
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 00:23:52 +0100 (CET)

> I was just trying to use the FreeType library in a C# application,
> with Visual Studio 2005.  I have downloaded the freetype6.dll file
> from the indicated website and thought that by reading the header
> files (*.h) I could create an API class to use FreeType from C#
> (.NET) applications.  But that's not that easy.  the first function
> that I found is FT_New_Face().  Its first argument is of type
> FT_Library - which is never defined!

The applications don't need to know what exact type this object is.

> Okay, it is defined as something else which in turn is never
> defined.  I have also found a Visual Studio Project file that I
> could open with my VS, but it also just plain said it doesn't know
> what that thing is. (It can resolve other types though.)

And right so.

> I assume that it's just an integer or something, but I need the
> exact type and type size for .NET interop to work correctly.

It's a pointer, BTW.

> Can somebody please tell me where I can find this (and possibly
> other hidden) type definitions in the source code?

I strongly discourage you from relying on internal details of the
FreeType implementation.  We might change them without notice.  You
have been warned now. :-)

FT_LibraryRec is defined in include/freetype/internalftobjs.h.

> Or is there already a C# interop class available?

I'm not aware of such a class, but since I'm not interested in C# this
doesn't mean anything.