Re: [ft-devel] Improve rendering with reversed colors

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Improve rendering with reversed colors
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:58:35 +0100 (CET)

> Freetype looks very nice while regular usage, but I work with
> reversed colors (white on black) -- with anything (AA or hinting)
> turned on text immediately looks too thin and hard to read.

I can only repeat: Please try to play with the gamma correction!  For
example, the `ftstring' demo program draws white glyphs on a black
background; use the `g' and `v' keys to adjust the gamma value.

> Btw. there was nice article about font rendering by Joel Spolsky:
>
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/06/12.html
>
> in the image on Joel's page there is comparison between Mac and
> Windows renderings.  I don't know which algorithm is used in FT but
> comparing to what I see it (FT) is closer to Windows -- and while it
> looks almost ok on white is a killer for eyes on black.  Currently I
> have all features turned off and as result text is a bit bolder and
> easier to read, but on the other hand blurry.

Uh, oh, all these things have been discussed a lot on this list.  The
`ftdiff' program shows the different rendering modes FreeType
provides.