Re: [ft-devel] Japenese OTF font with funny encoding

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Japenese OTF font with funny encoding
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 02:18:15 +0900

Hi,

Werner had already given the answer, but it's a pity
for japanese macintosh user to say nothing.

I don't have exactly same font with Deron, but I've
bought several TrueType and ATM font packages from
Dynalab. I want to add 2 supplementary comments.

1) Some Dynalab font has problematic cmap for Shift-JIS.
If you have Osaka font on Mac OS X, ftdump will list 3 cmaps:
Unicode, Roman, and Shift-JIS. There's no problem.
But, some Japanese fonts from Dynalab, ftdump won't
list Shift-JIS cmap, in some cases. This is because
Dynalab's TTF often includes problematic cmap for Shift-JIS.
FreeType2 ignores it.

2) Shift-JIS variants on MacOS
At least, there were 2 kinds of Shift-JIS variants on
Japanese Macintosh. One was designed for KanjiTalk 6 (MacOS 6)
and another was designed for KanjiTalk 7 (MacOS 7).
I think there's no official method to distinguish them.
I guess if PostScript name of the font finishes with
83pv-RKSJ-H, it's supposed to be Shift-JIS for KT6,
and if it finishes with 90pv-RKSJ-H, it's supposed
to be Shift-JIS for KT7. However, there are Japanese
fonts without such extensions (e.g. Apple's Osaka).

Regards,
mpsuzuki