Re: [ft-devel] Understanding Type1 fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Understanding Type1 fonts
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 10:51:46 +0100 (CET)

> So, I take it you would advise that the corresponding metric files
> should be in the same folder as the glyph files?

No, there's no reason for that.  It really depends on the application
where it searches the files.

> Am I right to assume the links are:
> PFB --> PFM
> and
> PFA --> AFM

No.  PFM is a special (binary) format of AFM used on Windows only.
You can completely ignore them.  So

   PBA,PBF -> AFM

> What other types should I be supporting if I want to say Fonty
> Python has Type1 support?

This is it.  There are other PS font formats, but Type 1 is PFA and
PFB (well, on the Mac there are some old obscure wrapper formats, but
I don't think that you have to take care of that).  Look into
FreeType's `formats.txt' documentation file.