Re: [ft-devel] Understanding Type1 fonts

From: Donn
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Understanding Type1 fonts
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:19:49 +0200

Thanks for the info. Apology for late reply, I lost my net connection for
almost a day.

> PFA files contain exactly the same data as a PFB, they are a hex (ASCII)
> dump rather than a binary one.
Okay, but since they both exist as files I must support both.

> So AFM files contain useful info not in the PF[AB], but their presence
> is not required.
I am going to assume that all the voodoo that goes on when it comes to kerning
and other arcane dark arts is the responsibility of the program that is using
the fonts (like Gimp etc.) and I'll simply try to provide soft links to *all*
the correct "related" files.

> > So, I take it you would advise that the corresponding metric files
> > should be in the same folder as the glyph files?
> Yes.
Thanks.

To re-iterate in the hope you'll approve:
I will keep the 'metric' files in the same folder as the 'glyph' files - to
that end - Given a PFA or PFB file, I will search for an AFM (of the same
name) and then fallback to a PFM and then fallback to Nothing. So, when there
is a related file, it will be linked along with the font file (pfa/pfb) into
~/.fonts

\d

--
Fonty Python and other dev news at: