Re: [ft-devel] Convert glyphs to/from CIDs?

From: Derek Clegg
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Convert glyphs to/from CIDs?
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:56:08 -0700

On Jun 25, 2008, at 2:43 PM, address@hidden wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:17:25 -0700
Derek Clegg <address@hidden> wrote:
Sorry, I meant "glyph index" _ I want to convert from CID to glyph
index and vice-versa.  I need to do this because there are cases where
I need to work directly with some raw tables in the font, but these
are always keyed by glyph index.

Excuse me, could you tell me what is "glyph index" in your context?

According to Adobe TechNote #5014, in CIDFontType0, CIDMap interprets
CID number into 2 numerical values: FD Index and GD Value (see Figure
3). FD Index is an index, but GD value is an offset, so I'm not sure
these are what you expect. If the font format you're think of is not
CIDFontType0, please let me know.

Regards,
mpsuzuki

Sorry, I should have been clearer.  I am working with OpenType CID fonts which contain CFF glyph outlines.  (For example, one such font is
    /System/Library/Fonts/ヒラギノ明朝 ProN W6.otf
which is part of Mac OS 10.5.)

In my case, I need to work with the OpenType tables directly, but these are all keyed by glyph index.  Here, "glyph index" is a simple enumeration of all the glyphs in the font.  Often, "glyph index" is the same as the CID, but for subset fonts, it doesn't need to be.  I need a way to map from CID, which is what FreeType uses in FT_Load_Glyph, to the glyph index, which is what the internal OpenType tables use.

Derek