[ft-devel] Re: [bug #27045] "mingw32-make.exe setup" does not work well

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: [ft-devel] Re: [bug #27045] "mingw32-make.exe setup" does not work well in CMD of WINE
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 21:39:56 +0900

Dear Werner,

Thank you for comment.

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:32:05 +0200 (CEST)
Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>> A) Force to check if the system is win32 platform, even when
>>    PLATFORM is set to non-default values by preceding detect.mk
>>    (e.g. unix).
>>
>> B) Make the execution of builds/(PLATFORM)/detect.mk ordered.
>>
>> Which is better?
>
>I prefer A), since almost everything in FreeType acts as independent
>modules.

OK, I will update my patch on savannah to do so.

>> Unfortunately, ECHO of WINE CMD cannot handle them correctly. There
>> are serious requirement to use the special characters in dos_setup?
>
>Not really, but it looks nice.  Perhaps there can be a special ECHO
>setup for Wine.

I see. My patch on savannah inserts the conditionals
by using "is_wine" variable.

>> The speed of mingw32-make.exe in WINE CMD is very slow, so the
>> development of FT2 with WINE CMD + MinGW is not pragmatic at present
>> :-).
>
>How comes?  A Wine problem?  Have there been reports in the Wine
>bugzilla?

As soon as I confirm the speed on a clean Linux box,
I will report to WINE or MinGW team. Yet I'm not sure
the problem is caused by WINE CMD, MinGW, or some bad
preferences in my machine.

At present, I guess invoking subprocess by mingw32-make.exe
would be slow. Because, the output of "make setup" is just
a serie of ECHO and TYPE, but its output speed is almost
1 line/sec. Direct execution of ECHO on WINE CMD is not
so slow.

Regards,
mpsuzuki