Re: [ft-devel] Even-odd rule

From: Tuom Larsen
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Even-odd rule
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 17:16:04 +0100

Thanks for the reply!

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

How do you come to the impression that TrueType fonts are handled with
the even-odd rule?

Do you mean "non-zero"? Because I said TrueType should be using "non-zero" rule (and not "even-odd"). I think I read somewhere that TrueType should be rasterized with "non-zero" rule, isn't that true?

It is possible to make the smooth rasterizer use
the even-odd rule (since this rasterizer is a generic module which
could be used independently of FreeType), but this is not the default.

Yes, I know FreeType supports both rules - I'm asking why it is the case. Is the reason that it is "generic module" and can be used for different purposes than font rendering? Image FreeType could be used for font rendering only - would it still make sense to support both rules?