[ft-devel] MS BASIC version of FreeType v1 (I wrote this, will FreeType.

From: Daniel Nice
Subject: [ft-devel] MS BASIC version of FreeType v1 (I wrote this, will FreeType.org host?)
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 10:39:20 -0400

Hi,

I develop DOS based software using MASM and Microsoft BASIC 7.
Lately I've needed TrueType smoothed fonts for my latest project, and so I have begun translating the Pascal version of FreeType v1 to Microsoft BASIC 7.

My ultimate intention is to translate it to assembler, but first I'm doing it in MS BASIC because I'm comfortable with that language.

The BASIC code favors readability over efficiency since the goal is to make the algorithm easier to understand.
The entire engine and program will be one single source file usable in the Microsoft BASIC 7.1 compiler/interpreter.

So far, my translation renders smooth fonts, and I'm working on the hinting.

Would freetype.org host this source code after I have something finished?
I feel that TrueType fonts are a big black box to most developers, especially those not used to reading C and Pascal code.
I would like to make this work available to others but I do not have a website.

-Daniel Nice