[ft-devel] /Fd flag for MSVC doesn't work for Ninja generator

From: David Capello
Subject: [ft-devel] /Fd flag for MSVC doesn't work for Ninja generator
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 10:40:09 -0300

Hi people!

Some time ago I tried to compile freetype using cmake and Ninja makefiles
(https://martine.github.io/ninja/).

Anyway the following lines in the main CMakeLists.txt file made it impossible:

  if (MSVC)
    set_target_properties(freetype PROPERTIES
    COMPILE_FLAGS /Fd"$(IntDir)$(TargetName).pdb")
  endif ()

After running cmake -G Ninja, I received the following error running ninja:

  ninja: error: build.ninja:9506: bad $-escape (literal $ must be written as $$)

So my solution was to comment out those lines.
I think that other solution could be to change those lines to something like:

  if (MSVC)
    set_target_properties(freetype PROPERTIES
      COMPILE_FLAGS /Fd"$$(IntDir)$$(TargetName).pdb")
  endif ()

But I didn't try it with Visual Studio generator, and it shows
a lot of warnings for Ninja anyway. Warnings like:

  cl : Command line warning D9025 : overriding '/Fd$(IntDir)$(TargetName).pdb' with '/Fdfreetype2\CMakeFiles\freetype.dir\'

Is that /Fd flag really necessary?

I see it come from this commit:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freetype/freetype2.git/commit/?id=2c89e2c97b3be9459b9867a8a9a59c4f46653389

To fix this issue:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?43737

But I don't know if it's really necessary. (I'll be compiling different configurations for Windows without those lines to check.)

- David