Re: [ft-devel] freetype and harfbuzz (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 142

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] freetype and harfbuzz (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 142, Issue 15)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 13:53:34 +0000 (UTC)

 Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 18:21:45 +0100
 From: Vincent Torri <address@hidden>
 To: address@hidden
 Subject: Re: [ft-devel] freetype and harfbuzz (Re:

> as it is an installer, not often. Currently, we build a lot
 because we
 are facing some compilation problems with some packages.

 > toolchain, as mentioned in my last mail ; cross compilation
 on linux
 using mingw-w64, targetting 32 and 64 bits arch.

I cross compile freetype from linux too, for both win32/win64 and darwin (mac
os X). Every few months. It is not that hard, once you set it up to scriptable
once.

For Mac OS X, I chose not to have harfbuzz as I don't strictly speaking need
the extra functionality it offers (currently). For win32/win64, as I outlined,
the dynamic freetype dll is linked to a static harfbuzz.

What I found tricky is not harfbuzz itself, but what it brings along: - glib,
iconv, etc. You need to choose which you want to disable to avoid the
maintance/upgrade burden. I actually don't build harfbuzz itself, but just take
the win32/win64 binaries what fedora offers. I choose not to bother but keep
notes on which binary release packages my freetype was built against.