Re: [ft-devel] Stem darkening toggling API

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Stem darkening toggling API
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 07:42:20 +0100 (CET)

> A Qt developer just noted that he needs a way to get at the font
> driver name string from a FT_Face for use as the second argument to
> FT_Property_Get, so he knows if the driver for a font supports stem
> darkening.  I know how to do that from within the FT source, but how
> can it be done using just the public API?

Here you can see a small weakness in the idea of shifting the property
control from FT_Library to FT_Face: FreeType modules are not the same
as FreeType font drivers; the latter is just a subset.

Get the font format with `FT_Get_Font_Format'; the returned string can
then be mapped to the corresponding module name.

  CFF      -> cff
  TrueType -> truetype

For the auto-hinter this doesn't work, of course, since it is
completely agnostic of the font format.