[ft-devel] ftview version output issue (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: [ft-devel] ftview version output issue (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 142, Issue 21)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 10:58:05 +0000 (UTC)

You describe the expected current behavior, I think.

In the default freetype-demo way of building, after build, before install,
"bin/xxx" is a libtool script which loads the binaries within "bin/.libs/" with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH
set to dynamically load the latest freetype shared library from
"../freetype/src/.libs" .
If you run the binaries in "bin/.libs" directly, you pick up your older
system-wide freetype shared library
instead. There is probably no reason for running bin/.libs directly though
by-passing the libtool script,
unless you are trying to generate statically linked binaries to the latest
freetype - which I'll describe further below.

If the current behavior isn't what you want, you could either do "make install"
to install to a location of your choice
(after setting --prefix appropriately) both the latest binaries and the latest
shared library; alternatively
disable shared library building in ./configure'ing freetype.
With the latter, "bin/xxx" would be statically linked binaries instead of
libtool scripts, and there would
be no "bin/.libs" sub-directories.

I might be somewhat inaccurate in some of the description above, but I think
that covers how I knows
it works.

 Message: 1