[ft-devel] Proposed hinting scale for ftview

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: [ft-devel] Proposed hinting scale for ftview
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 14:28:52 -0400

Hi All,

I would like to simplify hinting controls in ftview.  As far as I can
see, only FreeType CFF driver is LIGHT by default and PS hinter
respects LIGHT. Otherwise LIGHT automatically means autohinter. So I
propose the following hinting scale for ftview:

   enum {
     HINT_MODE_OFF = 0,  /* FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING %/
     HINT_MODE_LIGHT,    /* FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT |
FT_LOAD_TARGET_LIGHT without warp */
     HINT_MODE_MEDIUM,   /* FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT |
FT_LOAD_TARGET_LIGHT with warp */
     HINT_MODE_STRONG,   /* FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT */
     HINT_MODE_NATIVE,   /* native hinter if available in all its glory
                            TrueType: v35, v38, or v40(light)
                            CFF: Adobe or FreeType(light)
                            Type 1: full or light  */
     N_HINT_MODES
   };

Comments? I would also remove LCD_MODE_LIGHT so that we separate
rendering and hinting modes completely.

Alexei