Re: [ft-devel] New `slight' auto-hinting mode

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] New `slight' auto-hinting mode
Date: Thu, 04 May 2017 00:57:48 +0200 (CEST)

>> Repeat 10 times: There also exists grayscale ClearType!  Not
>> everything is LCD :-)
>
> Hinting a glyph after arbitrary shift will result in visibly
> different widths.

So what?  I'm talking about ClearType hinting that *does* change
advance widths if necessary, but more subtle than `normal' hinting.
Think of `warping' but done with TrueType bytecode.

> This ugliness shall not live. If you want subpixel positioning,
> forget about hinting. I insist.

Maybe we are miscommunicating.  Subpixel positioning does *not* imply
the same advance widths as with unhinted rendering.