Re: [ft-devel] Render a text on Horizontal using a ttf file which contai

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Render a text on Horizontal using a ttf file which contains also Vertical metrics (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 148, Issue 25)
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 20:24:06 +0000 (UTC)

That's an interesting error - I have only ever seen it under wine, and I think
it is a bug in wine. Usually you just run the software again and it works the
second time. That's why I suspect it is a bug in wine (about synchronization,
etc). Are you actually seeing that error under genuine windows? and what
version of windows?

I see the public chm of Font Validator at the repo is still the April 2016
version (before FontVal 2.0) and I haven't put the current edition out - in the
current private one, under Error 6000, I have added that if anybody sees that
error (especially under wine), please just re-run:

'Running FontVal 1.0 (and perhaps 2.0 too) under wine can occasionally result
in error A6000, "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an
indication that other memory is corrupt." . This is intermittent and a problem
with wine. Users should simply re-run.'

It is a pity about the company policy. If it makes your employer happier, I can
enter into a confidential agreement with your company to look at the matter in
a confidential manner like a small one-off normal commercial consultancy task
(at a fee, of course).

I think it is quite safe to say that I am the only person with C#/SharpFont
knowledge on the freetype-devel mailing list. You may already realized that
Font Validator is built on top of SharpFont and freetype, and involves
additions/enhancements to both. Only a small part of freetype-related
enhancement goes back to freetype (so far), but almost all of my enhancements
to SharpFont  eventually went back to SharpFont. You can see that in
SharpFont's changelogs / issue trackers.