Re: [ft-devel] Freetype controls for glyph brightness/contrast/weight?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Freetype controls for glyph brightness/contrast/weight?
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 12:51:46 +0200 (CEST)

>> It is a question of taste how the filter should behave, one could
>> argue. There always was a fair of difference between Windows and OS
>> X in this regard, for instance.
>
> Yeah, that's a bit of a problem - how can we precisely define what
> is "correct", and if someone is doing something that differs from
> that spec, then aren't they (e.g., Apple or Microsoft) "wrong"?

Well, there is only *one* way to correctly render FreeType output,
namely linear blending.  This technical fact is out of discussion.

To globally adjust the output to your taste FreeType already provides
means to modify the parameters of the sub-pixel colour filter; it also
provides parameters to adjust values for stem emboldening at smaller
sizes.

>> you already can change from v40 to v35 using the FREETYPE_PROPERTIES
>> environment variable.
>
> Yes, but at some point version 35 will go away, right?

No, v35 will stay.  In particular, it is needed for B/W rendering
(which v40 doesn't support at all).