Re: [ft-devel] Splitting up the GSoC project (Re: Freetype-devel Digest,

From: Arvinder Bhathal
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Splitting up the GSoC project (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 148, Issue 36)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 17:44:46 -0400

These are excellent points you've brought up.

> 1. Think of some ways of comparing images which does not involve your eye
> balls. You do not want to eye-ball even 1% of 12 million.
>
> 2. pick any one font, actually generate 26 images of A to Z, for two versions
> of freetype, to get a feeling of what sort of bitmap differences you are
> likely to get.

Although I'm unsure of the feasibility of it, my initial thought was
to sum the pixel intensity differences between the baseline and test
glyphs. Supposedly, these values could be stored for every glyph
(although maybe not for 12 million) in an index, and we could consider
these values when displaying the glyphs in the browser. This could
help focus on the pairs with the greatest differences. However, as
you've said in your second suggestion, a demo test will help determine
what sort of comparison method will do.