Re: [ft-devel] [smooth] Implement minimal dynamic padding for LCD filter

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [smooth] Implement minimal dynamic padding for LCD filtering. -- Still breaks Firefox
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 14:56:18 -0400

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 2:46 PM, Markus Trippelsdorf <address@hidden> wrote:
On 2017.05.30 at 14:20 -0400, Alexei Podtelezhnikov wrote:
> On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 1:54 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> > > Just for reference, what should be off-limits to client code?
> >
> > Simply don't rely on internals.  Use only the API and the public data
> > structures.  If this isn't sufficient, file a bug report so that we
> > can discuss extensions.  For some reasons, the Skia team didn't do
> > that – I guess the code in question is a remnant from early,
> > experimental subpixel support.
> >

> The funny thing that they want to move in the opposite direction and bundle
> FreeType.
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/chromium-packagers/xhmgu-1Vcok
> There are folks that consider that to be more secure :). That is a
> "solution" to all problems. Amazing!

They already have done so. Version 60 will use the bundled freetype by
default. (But one can set use_system_freetype=true.)

They are bundling the latest version leaving the stale distributions behind. They are about to find out that they are not angels either. Something tells me that they will turn on a dime and get stuck with 2.8. Just watch. It is true that FreeType like nothing else is guilty of being visible. Improvements don't matter: if it is visible, users file bug reports.