Re: [ft-devel] Gone Redmond

From: Chris Liddell
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Gone Redmond
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 15:01:53 +0100

On 19/09/17 16:06, Alexei Podtelezhnikov wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I will be doing some FreeType development on Windows 10 in this
> release cycle. It was surprisingly easy to set up the environment. I
> only needed two things:
> 1) Git for Windows, https://git-for-windows.github.io/, which comes
> with a bash shell and vi.
> 2) Build Tools for Visual Studio 2017,
> https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/#build-tools-for-visual-studio-2017,
> which is a free minimal environment with msbuild and a compiler,
> without IDE.
>
> I have managed to build the static library already in this environment
> and committed the first round of cleanups in the project file. The
> draft plans are:
> - drop vc2005 and earlier support altogether as those compilers have
> reached their EOL.
> - drop wince as well since vc2012 and up supports wince
> - drop vc2008 next year
> - drop single-threaded configurations deprecated as of 2005
> - add dynamic library configuration
> - get freetype-demos to build

When you say "drop vc2005 and earlier.." and "drop single-threaded
configurations...." I assume you mean purely in terms of the
project/solution files and C library to which you link?

I ask as with Ghostscript we continue to use VS2005 (not really by
choice!)), and only use Freetype in single threaded environment. We'd
rather not add a hard requirement for threading, and we use our own
build system to build the Freetype sources, so changes to you Freetype
build won't directly affect a "normal" Ghostscript build.

Thanks,

Chris