Re: [ft-devel] Curb the scaling

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Curb the scaling
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 07:48:02 +0200 (CEST)

>> As mentioned earlier, there is no chance to ever catch cumulative
>> values without actively comparing against a maximum value.  And
>> such a comparison is more expensive that using ADD_LONG and
>> friends.
>
> Largely, it comes down to taste.

The cumulative one is *not* a matter of taste.

> I love the vector algebra of rendering and want to preserve the
> algebraic look in the C code.  These macros shred it to pieces and
> make it ugly.

Yes.

> I am glad that so far the rendering code was spared.  That is my
> honest opinion.

:-)

> I said it before, these macros do not fix the overflows, they only
> silence the fuzzer.

Well, the macros mark the places where harmless overflows can
happen,[*] which is good.  If you have ideas how to remove them
without introducing expensive guards, please tell!

    Werner

[*] Actually, what's ugly is the macro syntax.  I would like to have
    compiler support like

      foo = bar + baz      __attribute__ ((allowed_overflow));

    so that the mathematical operators are not hidden.