[ft-devel] Issue with CFF implementation limits

From: Ewald Hew
Subject: [ft-devel] Issue with CFF implementation limits
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 19:24:17 +0800

Hi all,

I've found an issue with certain Type 1 glyphs being rejected by the
new Adobe engine for having too many stems. According to the
specification, CFF charstrings can have at most 96 stem hints (cf.
https://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/cff2charstr.htm#appendix_Limits),
but this limitation is not in place for Type 1 charstrings.

I've attached a really extreme case of this, from `ztm-Reg.pfb'
(https://ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/nimbus15/type1). Glyph 479 has a
whopping 344 hints!

A simple fix may be to remove the limit for Type 1 fonts, but I don't
know if this is good practice or wouldn't cause other problems in the
hinter logic. Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Ewald