[ft-devel] A few symbols missing in the visual studio build of freetype

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: [ft-devel] A few symbols missing in the visual studio build of freetype
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 01:03:23 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

The python binding of freetype-py, uses a "static" symbol list, although
exceptions (missing symbols) can be catered for to support newer routines not
in older versions, etc, on a case-by-case basis. A few months ago, I added a
bunch of symbols found in FreeType 2.2+ onwards - FreeType 2.2 is about a
decade old, quite safe, right?

Surprisingly, there are windows users of python ... which uses windows version
of freetype. So they got a bit upset when the newer version of freetype-py
cannot find the FT_Get_BDF_* functions (the list of expected symbols are
looked-for on load). I also checked that FT_Get_CID_* seems to be missing from
the windows build of freetype. Could we put those in - to keep the windows
build of freeype as similar as possible with the unix build - , or document
that they are meant to be missing? I am not sure FT_Get_BDF_* are useful on
windows, so we might want to explicitly not include them and document such.
This is mostly a follow-up to -
https://github.com/rougier/freetype-py/issues/65 , which I'd probably close,
pending some resolution/comment on the presence/absence of FT_Get_CID_*
routines on windows build of freetype.

Hin-Tak