Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint without freetype-config script (Re: Freetype-

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint without freetype-config script (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 156, Issue 10)
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 17:29:42 +0000 (UTC)

> Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 11:17:26 +0000
> From: Cosimo Lupo <address@hidden>
> To: Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: [ft-devel] build
> ttfautohint without freetype-config
>     script

> Werner, please take a look at the patch
> attached below.

> I'm now using PKG_CHECK_MODULES as you
> requested, when freetype-config
> can't be found or is set to "no" by the
> user.

> It's also possible to skip pkg-config
> altogether by setting PKG_CONFIG=true
> and passing FREETYPE_CFLAGS and
> FREETYPE_LIBS directly on the configure
> command line.

> Let me know if this is what you had in
> mind, thanks.

Hmm, (ab)using the PKG_CONFIG variable that way is probably problematic. If my
impression serves, PKG_CONFIG is occasionally set to
{cross-compile-tools}-pkg-config in some cross-compiling workflows. For
example, on my work machine (which is windows 10 with a Ubuntu environment
inside...), there are

/usr/bin/i686-linux-gnu-pkg-config
/usr/bin/i686-w64-mingw32-pkg-config
/usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-pkg-config
/usr/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-pkg-config
/usr/bin/x86_64-w64-mingw32-pkg-config

for cross-compiling for windows on linux (I know, this is bizarre,
cross-compiling for windows inside the ubuntu environment inside windows 10 :-)
) . On my home machine, in addition to these, I have also
i386/ppc/x86_64-apple-pkg-config . They are used at some point in the middle of
building the freetype backend of fontval for non-linux's.