[ft-devel] LD version script

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: [ft-devel] LD version script
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 22:59:49 -0500

Hi all,

I've just found out that libtool wraps the --export-symbols file into a --Wl,--version- script file, perhaps because of this paper. That got me reading further about version/symbol maps or scripts, which can keep track on newly added interfaces. So I generated one for FreeType using git, attached. It works and does decorate the shared library with version tags. The file skips over FT versions that did not introduce any new symbols. so the format might be slightly wrong.

The file is interesting from historical perspective too, but I am not sure about actual benefits. Should we consider it further?

Regards,
Alexei