Re: [ft-devel] Continuous Integration is Live

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Continuous Integration is Live
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 23:42:28 +0200 (CEST)

>> All those scripts should run with plain `sh' ...
>
> Totally, sorry, I overlooked that!  However, I would use `sh` to
> invoke the script to keep the setup independent of Debian.  It might
> be more future-proof to use `chmod +x foo.sh; ./foo.sh` but I
> generally try to me rather explicit when writing code.  Please let
> me know if you have any preferences there (`chmod ...` vs. `sh ...`)
> -- I'm happy to follow these guidelines :)

We are perhaps miscommunicating.  The issue is not whether you call
the script directly with a shell or indirectly via the shebang (IMHO,
it doesn't matter).  The issue is rather that `bash' supports a bunch
of extensions that other shells don't have.  For this reason,
`configure.ac' shouldn't contain any bashisms.  A bare-minimum POSIX
shell implementation like `dash' might catch them.