[ft-devel] TTC files and all format types of TTF

From: Jack Mackey
Subject: [ft-devel] TTC files and all format types of TTF
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 07:39:20 -0700

Hello,

My apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this. I am having to continue work on a font engine that was built from scratch, and based on FreeType, and am having problems with these two things. Right now, we do not support the TTC extension at all. Is there a resource that explains how to handle this? I checked the Apple TrueType documentation and FreeType but cannot find anything. My understanding is they are a collection of several TTF files with shared glyphs, so I'm just curious if they have a special format that needs to be read or if I can read the files as I would a TTF file.

Secondly, is there an explanation or blueprint for the different TTF formats? Right now, my system only reads one of the TTF formats (I don't remember which one) out of the 7? or 8 available. Is there a resource somewhere that explains the layout of the different format options so I can make readers for all of them, or is there some easy approach to this?

Thank you,

Jack