Re: [ft-devel] Documentation guidelines file

From: armin
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Documentation guidelines file
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 11:49:23 +0100

> Seriously: We talk about formatted plain text documents with prose (more or
> less) and thus to be viewed with a typewriter font.  Much longer line lengths
> for such documents are a bad idea; it's no longer convenient to read – the eye
> can easily lose the current line.

I totally see where you are coming from and it totally makes sense (there are
lots of rules like these to keep text manageable for readers (lines should
neither be too narrow lines nor too wide, also rules about vertical flow, etc)
and there is also some belief when it comes to that topic.  I, personally,
would not restrict writers too much (ultimately not my decision with FT, for
good reason! just trying to explain my point of view):

If you take
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/freetype/freetype2-testing/master/fuzzing/README.md
 as an example (I know it's markup, but still), "hard 72" (or 78 for that
matter) has/would have several impacts:

(1) Well formatted tables can still be read easily, even if 72 (78) total width
    is exceeded (as long as the cells themselves are well formatted).

(2) Deeper nested lists can suffer from rigorous restrictions like these as
    every indentation cuts off a piece of the cake.

Maybe something like "lines of straight text should not exceed X but the total
width of a line of code should stay within Y" (e.g. X = 78, Y = 120 (which is
still too narrow for the shown tables in my example but would probably work for
most cases))

Just a thought, feel free to ignore it ;)