Re: [ft-devel] Rendering issues with xpdf (and other Linux based pdf vie

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Rendering issues with xpdf (and other Linux based pdf viewers)
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 16:50:33 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Derek,

I found one other app with the missing dot problem on the first page - ghostscript. On X11, the dots are as missed as xpdf, while when running ghostscript to convert to png (png16m), the missing dots "re-appears" but as narrow dashes. Maybe something to do with treatment of transparencies/alpha ?

I checked Acrobat XI (11) on windows and Acrobat 15.x on wine and they both have problems with page 2 and 3. But my android device is running acrobat reader 18.x  - I hope the version is similar and not just the year!

About the glyph origin of the 2nd page. I think your observation is correct and expected. The 2nd and 3rd glyph seems to be SIL's way of simulating a sanskrit ligature(?) with contextual alternates. i.e. the 2nd glyph is supposed to be an accent/diacritic-like attachment to the 3rd glyph. In the android version they are still separate, but with other fonts, e.g. microsoft's mangal devanagari, it is a single ligature with the 2nd shape touching the 3rd shape.

I'll probably keep digging and see if anything comes of it. I would normally assume somewhere the generator is wrong (harfbuzz, cairo, latex, ghostscript), but one viewer on one platform can display the intended result, and that viewer is acrobat reader (on android), that needs to be looked at carefully...

Hin-Tak