Re: [ft-devel] color framework

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] color framework
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 20:40:39 -0500

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 11:49 PM Alexei Podtelezhnikov <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi all,

I have just pushed out a new branch called color. This is a framework
and renderer for color glyphs, which Werner and I discussed offline.
The basic idea is to supplement outlines with color information for
each contour so that consecutive contours of the same color can be
rendered as layers. A new FT_RENDER_MODE_BGRA is introduced to render
color glyphs if the color information is provided. A small
demonstration is implemented in ftstring (use color branch again).

The color array pointer takes place of the reseved "other" pointer in
FT_GlyphSlot. So this in binary compatible. FT_OutlineGlyphRec,
however, acquired a new field, this can, but very unlikely, break
binary compatibility.

The main motivation is a straightforward and familiar interface for
rendering CPAL/COLR fonts. Once the TrueType loader learns to combine
all layers into a single outline and fill color information, it is
good to go. Just load and render those with FT_RENDER_MODE_BGRA.

What was wrong with the existing code / model?

Regards,
Alexei